With over 50,000 plugins to choose from, there is a plugin for nearly everything, so why are custom plugins needed at all?
- Your business needs a solution, but that often will require several plugins from different authors, each will have different methods and mechanisms that may make maintenance harder
- Some of your solution may require plugins that are free and have limited or zero support and a limited expected life, the average maintenance life of a free plugin ( without a pro version ) is just 18 months
- Third party plugins can be deliberately backdoored for nefarious needs, in what is known as a supply chain attack, your own plugins are safer
- Plugins are developed to suit a range of uses, to make them more attractive to a broader market, but this can lead to bloat that you don’t want or need
- Despite the broad market functionality, some areas may be missing, such as GDPR compliance, VAT MOSS and other less than global needs
- Sometimes you just want exactly what you need, not what other people think you need
If you are a small business you may think custom development is only for big companies with big budgets, as indeed custom development costs more than buying a commodity product. But there is often a strong business case for custom development, regardless of your business size and budget, to get the functionality, performance, quality and support you need, and it may well not be as expensive as you think. Why not have a chat and find out.